1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Windovers Six Light D-back Sunroof Saloon.
A spacious, particularly handsome D-back, of attractive proportions with an elegant sweep to the rear styling, fluted rear valance, cut away front wings and a subtle peak above the windscreen, adding to its appeal. The body structure is good and solid, with nicely fitting doors, closing with a pleasing 'click'.The car also benefits from a large sunroof, stainless steel headlights, and Ace discs to all five wheels, as well as some nice, minor touches here and there. In good mechanical order, running sweetly, driving nicely, and benefitting from a stainless steel exhaust system. The interior is blue/grey leather throughout, showing its age, with unusual and appealing black lacquer finish to dashboard, door cappings, and all interior wood components, complemented by recent blue carpets and grey headlining. Within the car's history file is a buff logbook from 1946, an early DVLA V5, some old MoT certificates, various invoices and a copy of an original sales brochure. Offered serviced, and newly MoT tested.
- Chassis No. GZU8
- Reg No. JK 2864
- Price £32,500
Snippets: Tennis, Cricket & Hockey families
Although the chassis cards state that Windover’s customer was the Earl of Bradford GZU8 was actually delivered to Mrs Sybil Gertrude Harvey in Eastbourne. With help from the Eastbourne historical society we have worked out that her husband was Charles Alexander Harvey whose sister Miss Ermyntrude Hilda Harvey (1895/1973) was an international Lawn Tennis player! During her career Ermyntrude played at Wimbledon no less than 22 times, she won the Ladies doubles at the 1927 US National Championship with Kathleen Godfree, was a member of the winning team in the Wightman Cup (1925 & 1930). During WWI Ermyntrude & her mother Theodora both volunteered at the Frinton Military Hospital where her mother was known as “Lady Pork”. This was because a number of Frinton residents were known by their trade with Charles Henry being a provision merchant he was Lord Pork so she was Lady Pork. Charles Alexander Harvey was often known as Alex or Alexander to save being confused with his father. During WWII Michael Alexander Harvey (Sybil & Charles’s son) served with the Royal Horse Artillery and in Nov 1942 he was captured at Sidi Rezegh, Libya and was transferred to Camp 19 in Bologna, Italy. In 1943 whilst being transported from Modena, Italy to Brenner in Germany in a “cattle truck” he & another officer escaped and made their way over the Gavia Pass into Switzerland and then back to Britain. The 2nd owner of GZU8 was Thomas Andrew Common, the son of an eye surgeon, Thomas became an distinguished engineer and made lenses and telescopes; at the time he made the largest reflecting equatorial telescope for the Royal Astronomical Society of which he was President of. Several of the models of his lenses and telescopes were presented by him to the Science Museum. Thomas and the 3rd owner of GZU8 had London residences within 3 miles of each other in Albert Rd and Grosvenor Sq., perhaps they had met each other? George Reginald Taylor Thomas (1876/1965) was a son of Thomas Albert Oaks Taylor of Clarence Iron Works. George & his brother Tom Lancelot Thomas (1878/1960) were both under 20 years old when their father died – the brothers continued working for the family concern until it was nationalised in 1951. George became director of London Midland & Scottish Railway, Dep. Chairman of Vickers, Taylor Bros & Co., International Combustion Ltd and Coal Extraction Ltd to mention a few!! His brother Tom played cricket for Yorkshire (1899/1902) and for Lord Hawke’s team in New Zealand (1902/3) and hockey for England 1900/03!