1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Four Door Open Tourer.
From the last series of Phantom Is, this car started life as a Hooper Sedanca de Ville, but was nicely re-bodied much later in life, probably in the 1970s, although just when it was done and by whom is not clear. We know that by 1973 the car was in the USA, in Montana, and we feel that the body was probably constructed in the UK prior to the car being shipped out. It was then with one owner until 1990 when we imported it, and again with one owner, this time until 2014. We then sold it again, following – amongst other attention - some major engine refurbishment work, which included a full 'bottom end' overhaul, with re-ground crankshaft, all new main and big end bearings and various peripheral work, including clutch overhaul, etc. Since then, the car has been attractively re-painted in deep red, and has very nice, recent black leather interior and an excellent black hood, which incorporates twin oval bevel-edged glass rear windows. Other appealing features include P100 'bullseye headlights, narrow windscreen, twin side-mounted spare wheels and a spacious trunk on the rear, not to mention the impressive, high quality cabinet in the rear compartment, almost Baroque in design! A handsome car, running nicely and driving well. Offered serviced, prepared and newly MoT tested.
- Chassis No. 47OR
- Reg No. BF 7082
- Price £95,000
Snippets: Lucky Lady Nr. 3
47OR was initially ordered by the elusive Miss Margaret E. Lamb who changed her mind, the car was then reserved for Mrs Bennett of Queen Anne’s Mansions whose husband Herbert Bennett was a director of Harrods & a member of the Belgrave Estate syndicate. Involved in the Hyde Park venture were Edward Rawlings, William Harris (Ritz & Carlton), Lord Waring (Waring & Gillows Furniture), Cesar Ritz & Auguste Escoffier. Mrs Bennett didn’t take up the order for the car and it was finally acquired by Mrs Theodora Cecilia Fisher (nee Hess). Her husband - Edwin Fisher - was the youngest of 11 children & his in-laws included: Francis Darwin (son of Charles Darwin), Frederick W. Maitland (historian & jurist who named his children Ermengard & Fredegond), Lettice Ilbert (social worker & daughter of Sir Courtenay Peregrine Ilbert), Reginald Morris (composer), Ralph Vaughan Williams (composer & a scion of the Darwin & Wedgwood line), Cecilia Warre-Cornish (daughter of author Francis Warre-Cornish) & Richard Curle (author, journalist & traveller). During WWI Edwin Fisher had served with the King’s Own Hussars & the Life Guards, after the war he resumed his career in finance becoming Chairman of Barclays Bank in 1936. The 2nd owner of 47OR was Lord Edward Theodore Salvesen (1857/1942) a member of the Salvesen Whaling, Shipping & Logistics family. In 1913 as the 1st President of the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland Lord Salvesen organised the transportation of 800 penguins from the South Atlantic to Edinburgh Zoo! Two of Lord Salvesen’s son served with the army – Edward with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (died 1915) and Frederick with 82nd Punjabis (died 1919). After Lord Salvesen the 3rd recorded owner of 47OR is Dr John Bishop McCollum an American dentist living in Dillon, Montana.