Specialist dealers in early Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars

1938 Rolls-Royce 25/30 Thrupp & Maberly Limousine.

Click on the small images below to enlarge


This car is a particularly smart, sound, very useable example of a spacious limousine from the 1930s, finished in an attractive shade of blue, including the Ace wheel discs, with black wings, black leather interior to the front, and light tan cloth to the rear (including the large occasional seats), all enhanced by particularly attractive wood veneers, in good condition. Added to this, the car sports a handsome array of correct lamps and horns, creating an imposing frontal aspect. Running and driving nicely, and benefitting from a new cylinder head fitted several years ago. More recently, the car has been fully re-wired in correct, cloth covered cable. Amongst other things, the history file includes an old green logbook, invoices and correspondence going back to the 1960s, and a complete run of MoT certificates from 1973 to 2012, during which time the mileage has increased steadily, the car covering 39,000 miles during this period. In fact, the car was with one owner for 36 years, from 1969 to 2007. This, combined with copies of the factory build and sales records, give us a fairly complete ownership history, with just a post-war 'gap' to fill. Sound, clean, correct and appealing, just driven about 200 miles to us, the car is offered prepared, newly MoT tested, and ready to go.


  • Chassis No. GAR49
  • Reg No. FGX 340
  • Price £38,500
  • Finance



Snippets: A Lady Champion Hustler

GAR49 was delivered to Mrs W G Robson at the business address of W G Robson Ltd of Bamforth Street in Sheffield. Maria Agatha Robson was the widow of William George Robson who had founded the company in the early 1920s, she was just 35 years old when her husband died leaving her with 4 daughters to raise. One of the firms early contracts was for the construction of the Welfare Hall for the Denaby & Cadeby Collieries, this Hall boasted a 104ft swimming pool which could be changed into an 800 seat cinema over the pool. Later works by W. G. Robson included extending the factory of Lamp Caps Ltd (1926) in Sheffield, Richmond Hotel (1938), The Ritz Cinema (1938), Sheffield Library (1938), Herries Road Bus Garage (1950) & G.E.C. Ltd (1955). In 1942 Maria Robson was mentioned in the House of Commons for her help in the war effort, in May 1941 the Weekly Dispatch had stated “She is a widow of 47 with four daughters, she is only 5ft tall and she also happens to be Britain’s Champion Hustler.” The chassis cards show that in 1963 the Rolls-Royce was in London with Olga Michelle Sopronia Gibbons of Flat 4, Nr. 44 Westbourne Terrace, Paddington. In 1965 Olga had abandoned the surname Gibbons (by deed poll) to take up the surname of Nash – it is unknown why she did this, perhaps a family inheritance or quarrel? Westbourne Terrace was designed in the 1840s & at the time the avenue was described as “unrivalled in its class in London or even Great Britain”. Occupants of Westbourne Terrace included Lord Chancellors, Admirals, Engineers and Nr 44 Westbourne Terrace was Susan Lawrence (granddaughter of the Vice-Chancellor Sir James Bacon). Susan Lawrence was one of the earliest female Labour MPs (1923) alongside Dorothy Jewson & Margaret Bondfield. During the early 1920s 44 Westbourne Terrace was also the home to Manning Pike, an American printer & friend of T. E. Lawrence, who asked Pike to publish Lawrence’s book “Seven Pillars of Wisdom” – Lawrence would travel from Cranwell to Westbourne Terrace on his motorcycle to check on the book’s progress and would often stay overnight sleeping on a makeshift bed over the hot water pipes in the basement!


Would you like more information? Enquire about this vehicle.

To return to Cars for Sale Click here or use the 'Back' on your browser.