1965 Bentley S3 Continental 'Chinese Eye' Fixed head Coupe.
The Mulliner Park Ward ‘Chinese Eye’ Continentals are very distinctive in their looks, and considered by many to be very handsome and desirable. This one is a particularly fine example, having been cared for very well over the years, as evidenced by the comprehensive history file that accompanies the car. We have maintenance and repair history going back to 1977, including some recent work, culminating in a major engine overhaul, completed just a few months and 4,000 miles ago, which included a 2,500 mile Continental tour. This, and other associated work, cost £35,000! More information available about what has been done to the car, please ask.
Save for a couple of minor blisters, the paintwork is very nice, with a lovely lustre, and the interior is excellent, with recent, high quality light tan leather, a lovely, fresh headlining and carpets, and very nice woodwork. Complete with a 'Touring' kit of spares, compiled by the last owner. A very pretty car, in its original colour scheme of Regal Red with Beige leather. Driving superbly, mechanically excellent, structurally sound, MoT tested until April 2017,and absolutely ready to go.
- Chassis No. BC26XE
- Reg No. GCX 882C
- Price SOLD
Snippets: Hannen’s Military Cross
BC26XE was first registered to J. L. Clayton at his registered business address of 16 Stratton Street, Mayfair which had been designed by C J Harold Cooper (Arts & Crafts architect) for H. A. Johnstone whose father was James Johnstone, a 19th Century Newspaper Magnate. Other interesting residents of Stratton Street over time have included: Lord & Lady Hedworth Jolliffe whose divorce in 1872 was a “Cause Celebre” in high society & Sir Herbert Ingram, whose grandfather was the founder of the Illustrated London News – Sir Herbert was a collector of some note of Oriental Ceramics, Jades & Bronzes which form the “Ingram Collection” at the Ashmolean Museum. By 1965 BC26XE was with Mr. Davis of The Chase, Horton - where there are pre-Roman entrenchments known as “The Castles” covering an area of some 9 acres affording extensive views across the landscape including Clifton, King’s Weston, Blaize Castle & Drakestone. From 1981 to 1988 BC26XE was with Lancelot Guy Michael Hannen – in 1944 he was awarded the Military Cross for his courage, leadership & endurance whilst being under attack in the village of Pideura in Italy (he was just 20 years old). After the war he joined Christie’s auction house where both his father Gordon & grandfather Lance had been directors, LGM (as he was known) organised Christie’s 1st auction outside of the UK (Geneva 1968) and in 1973 opened their 1st saleroom outside the UK – Amsterdam and took the company public in 1973. He retired from Christies in 1989 having served 42 years nearly equally that of his grandfather Lance who had served 48 years with the Auction House.