1933 LHD Rolls-Royce Phantom II Park Ward Saloon Project.
A very rare opportunity to acquire one of the small number of left hand drive Phantom IIs produced, in this case being a very attractive Sports Saloon in part dismantled state, ready for a relatively light restoration. The car was delivered new to Canada, and has remained there for its entire life until now. Some of the photos show the car as it arrived, partly dismantled by the last owner in preparation for restoration, and others with it loosely 'hung together' to give an indication of the car’s handsome appearance, which includes louvred bonnet, rear-mounted spare wheel, quarter bumpers, etc, etc. As you can see, there are many components included with the car, including nicely re-chromed bumpers. A fascinating project, probably never to be repeated. Click the video link below to see footage of the car arriving here, and pictures after partial re-assembly.
- Chassis No. 215AMS
- Reg No. TBA
- Price SOLD
Snippets: The Cowans of Canada
Frederick William Cowan (1st owner of 215AMS) was the son of the Canadian industrialist William Frederick Cowan (1830/1918) an Irishman who emigrated to Canada & in time became Mayor of Oshawa, President of Standard Bank of Canada, Director of several companies including Ontario Malleable Iron Co., Fittings Ltd & T. Eaton & Co (Clothing manufacturer). F. W. Cowan married Miss Lily McMillan whose father T. W. McMillan was a co-director of the Standard Bank of Canada alongside W. F. Cowan. F.W. Cowan followed in his father’s footsteps & worked alongside W. F. Cowan in the Ontario Malleable Iron Co & the Standard Bank. Frederick & Lily had one son Robert Cecil Cowan (1892/1945) who served with the Canadian Forestry Corps in WWI, attaining the rank of Major & was awarded the OBE; Robert Cowan died in 1945 predeceasing both his parents. In 1929 Frederick Cowan commissioned John M. Lyle – one of the country’s premier architects to design & build him a home on Teddington Park, the property became known as The Castle & in 2011 it was sold for in excess of $23million. John Lyle’s other works in the Toronto area included Banks, Places of Worship, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, a Railway Station & his private clients included Sir W. Mulock (Politics), John B. McLean (Newspaper Magnate & owner of PII - 98EF), Alexander Bruce (Surgeon) & W. R. Johnston (jeweller). It is not known for how long 215AMS remained with the Cowan family but by mid 1950 the new owner was Philip Bushby who had a large estate at Saanich; in 1934, being a keen motorist Philip travelled to the UK in order to purchase an Eccles House Trailer which apparently was sold as a “Caravan” – according to a newspaper article the Busby family still owned the “Caravan” in 1968 albeit with a few years gap in ownership!