1955 Bentley R Type Automatic Sports Saloon.
The very last R Type built! The car is in lovely condition, very smartly painted in black pearl and silver, with fresh and lovely light blue leather and carpets, accompanied by excellent headlining and nicely finished interior wood. Mechanically, the engine runs very smoothly and the car drives well. All of this adds up to a particularly appealing example, with the ‘last one built’ adding an extra edge. Offered serviced, prepared, fitted with a new set of radial tyres of a very appropriate type, and newly MoT tested. The car is now back on its original registration number, UKN 222, and we will be taking fresh photos soon, showing this.
- Chassis No. B250ZY
- Reg No. UKN 222
- Price £39,500
Snippets: Military Family & Architects
In 1955 Brigadier Charles Stafford Price-Davies CVO MC (1889/1959) had B250ZY delivered to his home of Oakhurst in Folkestone. The Brigadier came from a comfortable and well connected military family of Marrington Hall in Shropshire (the family tree can be traced back to 13th century Cynric Efell, Lord of Eglswy Egle). The Brigadier’s father Lt. Col. Stafford Price-Davies served with the Royal Artillery and his two Uncles - Captain Hugh Arthur Lewis Price-Davies was with the Royal Welch Fusiliers and Major General Llewellyn Alberic Emilius Price-Davies was with King’s Royal Rifle Corp and was the recipient of the Victoria Cross for his actions at Blood River Poort during the 2nd Boer War. After Charles Stafford Price-Davies’s death in 1959 the property & contents of Oakhurst were put up for auction and his estate was circa £250,000 equivalent to around £5.5million today. Oakhurst was built in 1929 for a member of the Vestey meat family with many art deco features such as geometrically patterned doors between the master bedroom and the dressing room. In the early 1960s B250ZY was with R. Broadbent whose home of Handsmooth Farm, Ipsden was built in 1935 by a pupil of the architect Edwin Lutyens. Handsmooth was later purchased by Rowan Atkinson who demolished and replaced the building with a modernist house designed by Richard Meier.