1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30 Barker Sunroof Saloon.
A spacious, light, airy and handsome saloon in smart, sound condition, in a cheerful shade of Primrose yellow, complimented with black uppers and wings, and excellent beige leather upholstery. This is complemented by excellent woodwork, fresh looking carpets, very nice headlining and a particularly attractive dashboard and set of instruments, switches, etc, meaning that the whole interior is just lovely. The large sliding sunroof enhances all of this, allowing more light to flood in. The car is featured several times in 'The Rolls-Royce Bulletin' of March 1937, and we are pleased to say that a copy of this is included with the car's history file. Having owned it previously, we know the car well. It runs very nicely and benefits from - amongst many other things – a recent full re-wire in correct, cotton covered cable. Thoroughly recommended and ready to enjoy!
- Chassis No. GUL82
- Reg No. CLL 187
- Price £46,500
Snippets: The Motor Man
John Ernest Hutton (1877/1952) was a contemporary of Charles Rolls – the only son of a wealthy Yorkshire landowner & grandson of 2nd Baron Teignmouth, John had been fascinated with the mechanical world from an early age, in 1903 there is mention of him being promoted to that of Lieutenant in the Motor Volunteer Corps. John Hutton formed the Northallerton Electric Lighting Co., produced the Hutton Light Car & the Princeps Motorcycle which was the 1st production motorcycle with a V-Twin engine (even before Harley-Davidson). He was also an agent for Panhard, Mercedes & Berliot cars having stands at the Motor Show (1904 – 1907) with the cars. Not only was he an inventor, designer and motor agent he also raced these cars 1907 Montague Cup Race at Brooklands, 1906 Tourist Trophy on the Isle of Man - J. Hutton actually entered a pair of 22hp Berliots – one driven by himself and the other by the Frenchman Paul Bablot. Bablot was beaten by Charles Rolls who was driving a 20hp Rolls-Royce & the following day John Hutton entered the Graphic Cup Race with a 40hp Berliet driven by Paul Bablot & a 50hp Ariel-Simplex driven by himself – the race was won by a Napier driven by C A Glentworth. Sadly this preoccupation with all things mechanical took a toll on John’s private life and in 1907 after just 8 years of marriage John & his wife Beatrice (a scion of the Bandon Earls) parted company. After just a few years GUL82 was sold to John St. George Wilson (1891/1967) a noted gynaecologist & obstetrical surgeon - 4 days after John Wilson passed his exams WWI broke out & he immediately joined the RAMC, in March 1917 he was recommended for the Military Cross. After the war John Wilson returned to Liverpool where he specialised in gynaecology & after his retirement in 1948 he became a “gentleman farmer” – it is said that he never lived in the same house for more than 3 years!