1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Gurney Nutting 'Owen Sedanca' Three Position Drophead Coupe.
A lovely example of what many consider to be the most stylish coachwork design to be used on the 20/25 chassis – the Gurney Nutting three position Drophead Coupe, of Owen design, hence the term ‘Owen Sedanca’. The car is in lovely condition, having undergone restoration work in the early 2000s, including a full engine and gearbox overhaul, a new cylinder head and re-cored radiator, since when it has been carefully maintained, as well as recently being fully re-wired, fitted with an overdrive unit and new wheel discs. The paintwork is high quality, much of the chrome has been re-plated, the coachwork is very sound, and overall the car is an excellent example, which benefits from Continental tours a few years ago, which it completed successfully and reliably, aided of course by the overdrive, which is a very worthwhile addition for use of this kind. Comes with a history file showing various work done and an impressive toolkit. Winner of various club events, including first in class at the RROC National Meet in the late 1980s. Much admired and it is easy to understand why! MoT tested until January 2021.
- Chassis No. GXB15
- Reg No. AXM 280
- Price SOLD
Snippets: Chocolatier of Harrogate
GXB15 was delivered to W. Evans of Datchet House, Datchet– the house was built in the mid 1740s by the Earls of Kilmorey, it remained in the Kilmory family until 1911 when it was purchased by Sir Lionel Cust; after his death in 1929 Lady Cust remained at Datchet House until she sold it in 1932. It is unclear as to when Mr Evans acquired Datchet House but during 1932/35 the house was occupied by the American film star Laura la Plante who had the top floor (Datchet House was 3 stories tall) removed & the roof lowered!! From 1936 to 1937 GXB15 was with D M Holmes of Whitestone Ironworks in Huddersfield – the company was founded in 1850 by William Cartwright Holmes & their speciality was Gas Works. From 1937 to 1944 GXB15 was with Fritz Butzer – a Swiss orphan who having learnt his tradecraft as a baker, confectioner & chocolatier arrived in Bradford in 1907. By 1920 he had settled in Harrogate, opened his 1st specialist Tea Shop known as “Betty’s” – to this day who “Betty” is remains a mystery & in December 1921 Fritz changed his name by deedpoll to that of Frederick Belmont! By 1937, Betty’s had become so successful that Fritz open premises in Leeds, York, Bradford & Harrogate; the interior of Betty's in York is inspired by the Queen Mary liner on which Frederick & Claire had journeyed on its Maiden Voyage. The Belmont’s adopted two children – one of which was his sister’s son Victor Wild & upon Frederick’s death in 1952 Victor (age 29) became MD and in 1962 the firm of Betty’s acquired Taylor’s – better known as “Taylor’s of Harrogate purveyors of fine teas & coffees”. Between 1944 & 1961 GXB15 was with Mr. Rhodes of Shrewsbury and a Mr Sharman of London prior to the car going to New York with Ernest Bundy an undertaker & keen motorist. Ernest kept the car until the early 1970s when it was sold to Harvey Aronoff of Spring Valley, New York who kept GXB15 for the next 30 years.