1926 Rolls-Royce 20hp Windovers Three Quarter Coupe.
An out-of-the-ordinary, sweet little two door, four seater, used enthusiastically by the last owner but one for club events, rallies, etc, since buying it from us in 2011 until 2018. At that time, we refurbished the engine by re-boring, fitting new pistons, new big end bearings, etc, and the car runs well and drives nicely. Appealing features include twin side-mounted spare wheels, a lovely set of original instruments, a correct set of head lamps, side lamps and 'divers helmet' rear lamps and a Klaxon horn as well as a bulb horn. Sensibly, the car is fitted with flashing indicators - a very good idea when used in modern traffic conditions. In some ways even more importantly, the car has an overdrive unit, very much relaxing and improving cruising speeds. Offered prepared, serviced and newly MoT tested. A charming little car, much admired.
- Chassis No. GZK34
- Reg No. YH 623
- Price £45,500
Snippets: Radar, Banking, Timber Mills & Audubon
The 1st owner was A. S. Marsh of Northmead, Gore Hill in Ashford, Kent, so far all that has been found about the Marsh family is that in 1929 their telephone number was Ashford 330. In 1930 GZK34 was acquired by Capt C. Percy Davis of Deal, he had held the post of Mayor of Deal in 1930, 1931 & 1932 and again in 1937, 1938 & 1939. Within a year GZK34 was sold to Bt Col Walter Churchill Hale (1881/1967), in 1917 he had been awarded the MC with a bar added in 1918 & in 1919. By 1933 the car had left the army & joined the Air Force with her new owner Sqd Ldr Keith Alexander Black Gilfillan who during WWII worked with radar. By 1946 he had been promoted to Wing Commander & upon his retirement from the RAF he worked for Henry Hughes & Son, a company formed by James White & William Thompson (later Baron Kelvin of Largs) –both of Glasgow; today the company is known as Kelvin Hughes Ltd & continues to supply the MoD. GZK34 was with WgCm Gilfillan until 1951 when he advertised her for sale in Motorsport Sept 1951 for the sum £350. From 1952 until 1958 the 20hp was with D F Burton of Beare Green in Surrey – (named after a 13th Century landowner Walter de la Bere), and from 1958 until the early 1960s the owner was C F Hoare (perhaps a scion of the Hoare banking dynasty) prior to the car being exported to America. One notable American owner was Louise Hauss, wife of David Brent Miller of T R Miller Mill Co, one of the oldest Timber Milling companies in business today (est. 1848). Louise & David Miller were avid collectors of work by John James Audubon (1785/1851) who is universally recognized as providing one of the earliest & most accurate records of American wildlife; this collection of Audubon artwork was gifted to Auburn University in 1992 by their granddaughter. After a few years GZK34 went to Phillip Wichard of Huntington, a classic car collector – when his estate was auctioned in April 1995 (prior to his death in Sept 1995) the 47 cars realised in excess of £2million with the star of the auction being a 1929 Bentley 4 ½ Phaeton.