1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Lancefield Two Door 'Saloon Coupe'.
A stylish and very appealing car, likely to be the only one to this design, in excellent condition, having been very well maintained by the last owner, who acquired it in 2004, prior to which it was with just one owner for forty years. In fact, we have a complete ownership record from new. In sound and very smart condition, well finished in Buttermilk paintwork, with nicely matured, lovely grey/green leather, excellent veneers and an art deco flavour to the interior generally. Outside, twin side-mounted spares, louvred bonnet & scuttle, a large sunroof, full length, bold waistline moulding (which also wraps around the rear of the car) and a very unusual extending boot, all add to the attractiveness. Above this 'boot box' is a lift-up lid, which incorporates a tray of original tools. The engine bay, which is very correct and well presented, houses the major tools, including a correct Dunlop No.10 jack & handle. The car runs well and is offered prepared, serviced and MoT tested until March 2020. The No. 1 registration is a lovely bonus!
- Chassis No. GXB26
- Reg No. AXT 1
- Price SOLD
Snippets: The Motoring Convictions
The first owner of GXB26 was Allan Doble Sanderson (1891/1968) whose love of speed saw him race his Rolls-Royce 40/50 at Brooklands in 1923 against Captain Waite in his Austin 20 ( Waite’s father-in-law was Herbert Austin). We have since found out that Allan had an Armstrong Siddeley into which he shoehorned an engine from a 1920 Silver Ghost! In 1925 Allan Sanderson, an entrepreneur & owner of London Lubricants, opened the luxurious Selsdon Park; the hotel boasted running hot & cold water in all the bedrooms, central heating, telephones in all the rooms with the guests transported to & from the local train station by Rolls-Royce! Allan & his wife Hilda love of speed extended to them owning & racing greyhounds & 3 speedway stadiums – Lythalls Lane, Leicester and Brandon. Allan’s love of the motor car did have its downside as by 1927 he had managed to acquire over 30 motoring convictions - a case of Sanderson of Selsdon Park rather than Toad of Toad Hall! The second owner of GXB26 was the rather more sedate Harold Robert Gough of London, a director of BAT (British American Tobacco) & keen golfer who in 1928 won the “Gilliam” Golf Challenge Cup which was only open to members of BAT. In 1938 (the year that he became High Sheriff, GXB26 was registered to Capt. Hugh Rankin Morrison of Aghadowey until his death in 1965. The Captain, a noted farmer & horse breeder, was married 3 times; his 1st wife was Louise Rankin (married 1910) died in 1924 leaving an estate of £12,592; the widowed Captain remarried in 1928 to Elsie Mortimer who in 1938 was fined the sum of 20 shillings for driving her Rolls-Royce without a licence, the comment made by the Resident at the hearing was “ Even the drivers of Rolls-Royce cars must have licences”. Elsie Morrison died in 1949 leaving an estate of £47,218, in 1951 Capt Morrison remarried for the 3rd & last time to Miss Joan Uprichard, a young equestrian who in 1947 was a member of Ireland’s 1st civilian equestrian team at the Nations Cup competition at Blackpool alongside Jim Bryson, Noel Hayes and Iris Kellett. In 1964, a year before his death, Capt Morrison gifted GXB26 to his grand-daughter Judy as a wedding present; as the car was too large for her garage the car was sold via Billy Maidens Garage of Sleaford to Robin Chadburn of Mansfield Brewery, the brewery was started in 1854 by William Baily, Samuel Hage & John Watson. In 1874 William Baily’s nephew William Jackson Chadburn joined Mansfield Brewery as a clerk and in 1885 a new partnership was established with William Baily Jr, William Chadburn, Henry Shacklock & James Hopewell.