1937 Rolls-Royce 25/30 Freestone & Webb Saloon.
A handsome and appealingly ‘out of the ordinary’, semi ‘razor edge’ saloon, in original and correct condition, albeit in need of some attention. The cylinder head will ideally need replacing and the paintwork - although perfectly useable - has a few marks and blemishes. The car sports a lovely set of lamps & horns, including lovely P100 headlamps and stylish sidelights, twin side-mounted spare wheels and a very impressive original set of tools, nicely mounted in the boot lid. Interior-wise, the car is very nice, with brown leather to the front, beige cloth to the rear, headlining and carpets all in excellent condition. Just imported from the USA, but now back on its original UK registration number, ELK 132. We have just had the car completely re-wired, incorporating flashing indicators for safety, it ideally needs a new cylinder head. Can be sold 'as is' for the price listed, or with new head fitted (at cost price), re-commissioned serviced and MoT tested, all at a suitable figure.
- Chassis No. GRP75
- Reg No. ELK 132
- Price SOLD
Snippets: Caldy, Carlisle & Cardiff
Thomas Ronald Miller (1887/1953) was the founder of Motherwell Bridge & Engineering Co, he wrote “Monkland Tradition” a tale of the iron history & his firm within Lanarkshire which we have managed to locate a copy of! He married twice with both marriages ending in divorce with 3 daughters and 1 son from his first marriage. In 1929 two of his daughters Elizabeth and Margaret had a double wedding at the family home of Biggar Park House (built circa 1798 for Lord John Elphinstone-Fleming, grandson of the 6th Earl of Wigton). In 1929 Margaret & Elizabeth Miller were aged 21 & 19 respectively, their brother Alexander was 14 & their youngest sibling, Joan, was 5! Thomas’s father–in-law was Professor Matthew Hay, a contemporary of Aneurin Bevin, Professor Hay was called by many the “Father of Forensics. During WWII Thomas’s son Alexander was stationed in Burma with the 14th Army, after demobilisation Alexander joined the family firm and in due course he succeeded his father at the helm of Motherwell Bridge becoming one of Scotland’s leading industrialists. The 2nd owner of GRP75 was Kenneth Redfern Monroe of Caldy in Cheshire, he was a scion of the Monroe shipping family whose involvement in the marine trade started in 1897 by shipping coal from South Wales with the steamer Vindomora. After Kenneth’s death in 1942 the car was with WIlliam Logan of Carlisle whose company Logans were well known for their furniture who later sold the car on to Alex Robertson an Architect of Cardiff who during 1966/9 built nearly 1,000 houses on the farmstead of Penrhysuchaf in Rhondda.