1927 Rolls-Royce 20hp Connaught Limousine.
An upright limousine, with large area of glass, making the interior light and spacious. Appealing features include vertically and horizontally divided windscreen, lovely curved glass at each end of the division, correct, low-mounted headlamps and side-mounted spare wheel with facility for rear-mounting as an option. The car is in good, sound and clean condition, very nicely re-upholstered in recent times in excellent, very appropriate black leather to the front and beige corded cloth to the rear, with fresh headlining as well. Offered prepared & serviced, and following a long spell in Ireland, the rather attractive original registration number, YE1001, is now back on the car and it is MoT tested until March 2020.
- Chassis No. GYK34
- Reg No. YE 1001
- Price SOLD
Snippets: The Railway Man
The 1st owner of GYK34 was W E Palmer an antique dealer in South Kensington, London, his showroom was ideally situated on the intersection of Gloucester Road with Queen’s Gate Terrace & Victoria Grove. The road was named after Maria, the Duchess of Gloucester, wife of Prince William Henry and also a grand-daughter of Robert Walpole (1st Prime Minister). Prior to being named after the Duchess the road was known as Hogg Moore Lane ('lane through marshy ground where hogs are kept). W E Palmer advertised his premises in “The Connoisseur”, a publication for the discerning collector which ran from 1901 to 1992 when it was merged into “Town & Country” by the Hearst Corporation. By 1931 GYK34 had moved on and was with her 2nd owner Lt Col John Henry Follows (1869/1938), a railway man by birth (his father served 40 years with the Midland Railway) John Follows started work with the Midland Railway in 1890 age just 20 & by 1901 he had been promoted to Traffic Inspector; in 1907 he became part of Sir Cecil Paget’s staff (Paget was the General Superintendant) & whilst Sir Cecil was in France sorting out their military railways, John Follows took on his role in the Midland Railway & when Sir Cecil’s retired John Follows succeeded him as Vice-President of Midland Railway. Sadly John Follows died in 1938 having owned GYK34 for just 7 years. It is not known who owned GYK34 immediately after John Follows death but a later owner was Tony Dunning (VCC member) who used the Rolls-Royce to act as a tender for his 1903 De Dion Bouton which had a habit of breaking down – twice in the 1970 Brighton run!!