1935 Bentley 3 1/2 Litre Thrupp & Maberly Sports Saloon.
A very pretty car, the design being highlighted by elegant 'trouser crease' wings, waistline moulding with sweeping chrome embellishment, finished in two shades of grey, with very appealing green leather interior and chrome plated dashboard, as original. The car features Marchal headlamps (original fitment), long-trumpet horns, rear-mounted spare wheel with quarter bumpers, and overall is really well balanced in design. Running particularly well, and driving very nicely following a recent engine overhaul, which included new main & big end bearings, the 'top end having been overhauled not long beforehand. Originally used as a ‘trials car’, and registered by Jack Barclay’s, initially as 'JB1000', and features many times in the 1930s official Bentley journal, ‘On the Road’. A good 'driver's car', ready to enjoy.
- Chassis No. B36EF
- Reg No. CXF 119
- Price SOLD
Snippets: Gun Roller to Emperor’s Gate
After being used as Jack Barclay’s show car the first private owner of B36EF was Arthur David Tipper whose father (Joseph Tipper) & uncle (Henry Powell Tipper) were involved in the steel business & in whose footsteps Arthur followed. In 1865 Henry Powell Tipper registered Patent Nr 1738 for “improvements in manufacturing gun barrels & tubes of cast steel & iron”. Some 57 years later Arthur Tipper applied for patents relating to sash windows, door latches, door locks, door hooks & metal brackets. In 1939 the Bentley was with the Duncan family at 49 Knightsbridge Court, London. The family connections by marriage & blood include the Clark-Neils of Curling Hall in Largs (Coats & Clark thread & cotton dynasty) and the Bowens of Farnham (Paymaster In Chief Royal Navy). From the late 1940s to 1976 B36EF was with the Campbell family and in 1969 it was used by Peter M Campbell whilst he was at Sandhurst training to become an Army officer (with Rhine Company). Peter recently made contact with us and has very fond memories of the car & would enjoy story-swapping with the next custodian. From 1976 to 1993 B36EF was with a noted European collector who sold his collection due to ill-health. The most recent owner had a home at 47 Emperor’s Gate, London Nrs 37-47 were built in 18758 by Henry Harris & the street was named in honour of the German Kaiser. The owner’s other home was in the village of St. Martin Des Boscherville where Louis Fabulet (1872/1933) lived whilst he translated “The Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling.