1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Gurney Nutting 'Owen Sedanca' Three Position Drophead Coupe.
A lovely example of what many consider to be the most stylish coachwork built on the 20/25 chassis – the Gurney Nutting three position Drophead Coupe, of Owen design, hence the term ‘Owen Sedanca’. The car is in lovely condition, having undergone restoration work in the early 2000s, including a full engine and gearbox overhaul, a new cylinder head and re-cored radiator, since when it has been carefully maintained, as well as recently being fitted with an overdrive unit and new wheel discs. The paintwork is excellent, much of the chrome has been replated, the coachwork is very sound, and overall the car is an excellent example, which benefits from recent Continental tours, which it completed successfully and reliably, aided of course by the overdrive, which is a very worthwhile addition for use of this kind. Comes with a history file showing various work done, and an impressive toolkit.
- Chassis No. GXB15
- Reg No. AXM 280
- Price £140,000
Snippets: Chocolatier of Harrogate
GXB15 was delivered to W. Evans of Datchet House, Datchet in 1934 – the house was built in the mid 1740s by the Earls of Kilmorey, the family kept the house until 1911 when it was purchased by Sir Lionel Cust, he died in 1929 but his wife remained at the house until she sold it in 1932. It is unclear as to when Mr Evans acquired Datchet House but there is a note that between 1932/35 the house was occupied by the American film star Laura la Plante who had the top floor (Datchet House was 3 stories tall) removed & the roof lowered!! From 1936 to 1937 GXB15 was with D M Holmes of Whitestone Ironworks in Huddersfield – the company was founded in 1850 by William Cartwright Holmes & their speciality was Gas Works. From 1937 to 1944 GXB15 was with Fritz Butzer – a Swiss orphan who having learnt his tradecraft as a baker, confectioner & chocolatier arrived in Bradford in 1907. By 1920 he had settled in Harrogate, opened the 1st of his specialist Tea Shops known as “Betty’s” – to this day Betty is a mystery and in December 1921 changed his name by deedpoll to that of Frederick Belmont! By 1937, the year that he purchased GXB15, his business had become so successful that he had premises in Leeds, York, Bradford & Harrogate – the interior of the York premises are inspired by the Queen Mary liner on which Frederick & Claire had journeyed on the vessel’s Maiden Voyage. The Belmont’s adopted two children – one of which was his sister’s son Victor Wild - upon Frederick’s death in 1952 Victor (age 29) became MD and in 1962 the firm of Betty’s acquired Taylor’s –better known at Taylor’s of Harrogate purveyors of fine teas & coffees. Between 1944 & 1961 GXB15 was with Mr. Rhodes of Shrewsbury and a Mr Sharman of London prior to the car going to New York with Ernest Bundy an undertaker & keen motorist. He kept the car until the early 1970s when it was sold to Harvey Aronoff of Spring Valley, New York who kept GXB15 for 30 years.