Car Co Ltd.
Specialist dealers in early Rolls-Royce
and Bentley cars.
1963 Rolls-Royce Phantom V
James Young Limousine.
Click on the images below to enlarge them. To return
to this page afterwards, click the 'back' button on your browser.
rare and sought after ‘PV15’ design James Young bodied Phantom, in good
sound condition, nicely finished in Black & Burgundy, with excellent chrome,
etc, and upholstered in beige leather front & rear, with lovely veneers and
an illuminated cocktail cabinet. The body is lovely and straight, with excellent
door gaps, etc, which is not always the case! The car has been stored for a
considerable time, and we are planning to re-commission, service and prepare the
car before sale, but as an alternative, we can offer a discount ‘as is’.
Reg No. 729 FXO.
first owner was David Allen Wickens, an enterprising gentleman who, when WWII
broke out was working in S.Africa with the accountancy firm of Deloitte &
Co.; rather than return to the UK during these hazardous times David enlisted in
the S.A. Navy, he was later seconded to the British Navy - his brother Officers
included Edward du Cann (politician) & Owen Aisher (yachtsman/entrepreneur).
In 1946 David & one of his brothers co-founded the Southern Counties
Car Auctions, later renamed as BCA, this resulted in David leaving the Navy
“as fast as he could” in order to further his business! During
his business career he became known as the “rescuer of Lotus” & was a
close friend of both Denis & Mark Thatcher.
When David purchased 5AV77 in 1963 he gave his home address as 99 Park
Lane, W1, other residents of this address have included Sir Moses Montefiore
(1784/1885) Sheriff of London (1837/8) & brother-in-law
of Nathan Mayer Rothschild.
In 1846 Moses received a baronetcy in recognition of his humanitarian
efforts on behalf of the Jewish nation.
Such was Sir Moses’ standing within the Jewish community that in 1884
his 100th birthday was declared a public holiday in Jewish
communities around the world.
During the 1970s the chassis cards show that 5VA77 was in the USA but the
owner also had property on the Ave du Chateau de Bertin, alongside the River
Seine in Paris.
In 1762 Henri-Leonard Bertin purchased the land in order to build himself
a magnificent Chateau, the castle grounds contained a Chinese House, Orangery
& the Nymphaeum Grotto (designed by Soufflot).
In 1781 Henri Bertin sold his Chateau to the Marchioness of Feucheres
prior to the Revolution)
Bertin lived until 1792 in Spa but the Marchioness
was beheaded in 1794.
By 1923 the Chateau had been demolished and today only the Nymphaeum
remains as proof that it ever existed.
The last owner of 5VA77 was “Bud” Korteweg who used to race the
“Sassy Brat”, a race boat fitted with an Allison V-12, the same power-plant
used in the British Spitfires during WWII.
Bud Korteweg later purchased the old William J Weir Estate in River Edge
which had been used as a backdrop for a Mae West silent movie!
Would you like more information? Go to 'Contact
To return to Cars for Sale Click here or the
'Up' button on the left.