Car Co Ltd.
Specialist dealers in early Rolls-Royce
and Bentley cars.
1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II
Continental Barker Sports Saloon.
Click on the images below to enlarge them. To return
to this page afterwards, click the 'back' button on your browser.
delightful, attractive sports saloon, which has been with one family since 1968!
Recent work has included a full repaint to a high standard, along with other
cosmetic improvements, a thorough engine refurbishment in 2009, costing £24,000,
new radiator core, etc. The car was off the road between 1971 and 2006, and
taken on a Swiss rally shortly after re-commissioning. Comes with a considerable
history file, detailing work carried out, as well as some interesting
correspondence, and an old buff logbook. A
lovely example. MoT
tested until March 2014, and just fitted with four new Dunlop tyres.
Reg No. LJ
Delivered to Lt Cmdr Leopold E Rebbeck at his posting of
“HM Victoria & Albert, Portsmouth”, Rebbeck became a naval cadet when he
was aged only 13 & during WWI aged 16 he went to sea as a midshipman on both
battleships & destroyers. Rebbeck’s
career went from strength to strength & his tour of duties included the HMS
Dispatch which was based in the W. Indies prior to his returning to Dartmouth as
an engineering instructor. His sense
of humour was such that whilst at Dartmouth he had a powerboat of his own which
was specially fitted which enabled him to switch off the throttle by remote
control which resulted in many an unsuspecting cadet being pitched into the
water! After WWII he served as
assistant naval attaché USA & in before leaving the R. Navy he attained the
rank of Admiral, in 1956 joined the company of Vickers as their Chief Executive.
His father-in-law was R.G. Coombe who was Manager of the Tea & Rubber
Estates of the Poonagalla Group in Bandarawela in Ceylon, the estate was formed
in 1895 & according to records one of the owners was Sir George Pilkington.
By 1936 the car was with a solicitor - F E Peck of Great Stoatley,
Haslemere within 3 months the car had moved a distance of just half a mile to be
with James Davenport at Thursley Hall, an earlier occupier of Thursley Hall was
Frederic Salmon Growse, author, Indian art critic & archaeologist whose
published books included “Mathura: A District Memoir” & a history of the
Parish of Bildeston, when FS Growse died in 1894 aged only 47 he was described
as suffering from “Phthisis” such was the fear of stigma of having had TB.
By 1948 54PY was with her 2nd military owner Sqd Ldr Winfield-Smith & in
1954 she had moved to her 3rd military owner Major FCF Parker whose
family owned Skirwith Abbey, Newbiggin Hall, Warwick Hall & the Manor House
at Kirkswold. In 1982 a large collection of documents was discovered in the
attic at Newbiggin Hall by Mjr Sawrey-Cookson which he deposited at Kendal
Record Office. The documents detail
not only the business interests of Robert Parker & his nephews (Cotton
Merchants) but also the purchase & running of the various estates as well as
personal correspondence of Mjr F.C.F. Parker detailing such minutia as car
insurance, overdue accounts, his flying club etc.
Perhaps 54PY is mentioned – it would be fascinating to find out.
Would you like more information? Go to 'Contact
To return to Cars for Sale Click here or the
'Up' button on the left.