Car Co Ltd.
Specialist dealers in early Rolls-Royce
and Bentley cars.
1948 Bentley MKVI Open
Click on the images below to enlarge them. To return
to this page afterwards, click the 'back' button on your browser.
rather basic in some ways, but this special is well and truly tried and tested,
having been with one owner for forty years, and used extensively by him for
multiple European tours to Spain, Italy, France, etc. Equipped with a 4.9 litre
engine and high ratio back axle, the car is tremendous fun to drive, and the
power to weight ratio makes for exciting performance! Chunky, purposeful look,
functional design and a big ‘grin factor’, all add to the appeal of this fun
machine. We have just succeeded in re-instating the original registration
number, KKP 1, which adds extra appeal!
Reg No. KKP 1.
& Record Speeds
delivered to the firm of Kent & Sussex Contractors of
Sidcup, within 3 years B299CD had changed hands to be with N J Rush who
lived on the exclusive gated residence of Forest Ridge in Keston.
The property of Keston Lodge was first advertised for sale in 1802 &
purchased by Sweeney Toone (a director of an East India Company), his son
Francis inherited the property & Francis retired there from Canton in the
In 1873 the widowed Marchioness of Salisbury married Edward Stanley (15th
Earl of Derby) & they purchased Keston Lodge when they had to vacant the
nearby Holwood House (a country retreat for Pitt the Younger).
In 1882 the Earl managed to buy Holwood Estate & moved back, in 1892
after the death of the Earl the Countess returned to Keston Lodge where she
remained until her death in 1900.
Between 1900 & 1923 Keston Lodge was
home to Lady Ashton, widow of the 17th Earl of Derby. In 1923
the property developer Frederick Rogers purchased 143 acres of land from the
estate of the Earl of Derby on which to create a private estate.
There were 4 Rogers brothers who went to Australia in the late 19th
Century & made their money as travelling salesmen, two of their sisters had
emigrated to Seattle, USA & when Frederick visited then in 1911 is was
impressed by the spacious suburbs & had the dream of creating something
similar in outer London, Keston Park was the result.
During the 1950s residents of Keston Park included Margaret Thatcher
& Bill Wyman.
further 4 years saw B299CD registered with W Brunning at his firm “New Ideal
Homesteads Ltd which was formed in 1929 by Leo P Meyer when he left his building
firm Blackwell & Meyer to set up on his own.
After two more owners Greville Smith (1963) & Hill (1970) one of who
converted the MK VI into a Special B299CD arrived with R. A. Palmer who took the
car to the BDC Speed Trials in Ghent, Belgium in 1974 & was awarded the
Antwerp Motor Union Trophy by Mrs. M. Bentley for the fastest recorded time of
you like more information? Go to 'Contact us'.
To return to Cars for Sale Click here or the
'Up' button on the left.